Thursday, September 29, 2011

Moms Day Off

One of the little ones was telling us that they didn't want to continue school. We laughed and told him he would have to get used to it, and learn to like it, since he would be at school for a long time. As Hubbin and I discussed the matter, the realization set in, that we should do the same for our own work. I'll admit I started to get a little overwhelmed at the years that stretched before me. I could see hundreds of dirty diapers, piles of laundry, mountains of dishes, meals to be cooked, garbages to be emptied, and the list went on. The only end to my job, will be death. Hopefully in heaven the messes aren't so messy. As I thought about this, while complaining a little that my only day off is Sunday, and that just means double the work load on Monday, I realized that my attitude to the monotony of being a house wife better change quickly! So, change it, I did. I decided not to worry about days off, and enjoy and "put my shoulder to the wheel".
OK so fast forward 3 days. Yesterday was my turn! Hubbin changed the clock, to sneakily let me sleep in. Then he and the boys quietly got dressed and ready. He left, with #4 in tow. He dropped the boys off at school, and took #2 and #4 to the grocery store. (#2 was sick). By now, I was up and dressed and wondering where my family could be. As I started to straighten the house up, Hubbin #2, and #4 walked in grinning. "Your not supposed to do anything today Momma." #2 said. So I put the last dish in the dishwasher, ran it and sat on the rocking chair, wondering what my purpose was. Then #2 came and cuddled with me. It was so wonderful to just be able to let everything go, and cuddle my little sick boy. When he was finished cuddling, I decided to take a bubble bath. So, I did! With the door locked and everything. Wonderful! When I was good and pruny I got out and dressed. I blow dried my hair and carefully put on makeup. I brushed and flossed my teeth and used mouth wash! Then, Hubbin handed me the keys and the baby and told me to have a great day. So, I left. I went to an indoor tropical atrium, and leasurely drank in the colors of each vibrant flower. I listened to the sound of the water running, and smelled the wonderful smell of growing things. I browsed the library, then I checked out a pass to the Museum of Russian art. I drove out to Minneapolis in perfect silence. ahhhh.
The exhibits were amazing. I loved studying each peice of 7,000 year old pottery. I wondered about the artists that crafted them. Did they make them to sell, or to use around the house? Did they wonder if anyone would ever want to buy their art? I know they could never have imagined that 7,000 years later, some one would unearth their earthly treasures and put them on display for all to see. The upstairs and basement galleries were filled with work from one artist. A man named Oleg Vassiliev. http://tmora.org/exhibition/oleg-vassiliev/ He worked mainly on canvas and paper with oil paint and ink. I loved reading his story. Learning his style. Glimpsing in to his life. Wondering what it must be like, to know the freedom of art, but not being able to express it during a communist regime. There were two pieces that I really loved!!
First a print. When Oleg was in school, there were statues all over of famous leaders. They were every where to glorify communism. Oleg sketched several of the statues, but was criticized because of the downfall of communism. Later in life he got on top of a thatched roof, with a womens dress and a pillow to fill it out. He had a friend take his picture- and called it The Conductor of Crows.
I will venture a guess at the meaning of this picture, I would say that since the fall of communism in Russia, the economy has never really recovered and poverty is the new glorified status.
This one is a painting of his wife. A memory he has of her at the beach. He painted it of her after she died. I love the focus of light. In the writing next to the painting, he suggests that he also meant for the painting to be like she was walking in to the light. This is actually a different focus of light, than the one on display. But, it does give you a perspective of his ability to play with light variations, perspectives, and color. Isn't just like a dream or memory, how you can't quite focus all the details, you just can't quite get there. Brilliant!
One of the canvas and oils on display, was of self portrait of him sitting in front of a broken down building with a glass of vodka in front of him. The story behind it, was that he had always loved a painting of beautiful home with lavish gardens. He went to find the home, and when he did, he was met with a broken down shell of a home, that had become a shelter for local drunks. A sign rested on the homes outer wall that read-"protected by the state".
The perfect balance between political contraban, sketches from early years, children book illustrations, and later large scale detailed oils on canvas, really gave me insight in to the life of this man and artist.
I came home grinning and dancing with excitement. I told Hubbin all about my day. We ate lunch and fixed dinner. After dinner I blew out the candles on my cake- (Rocky road cake) and recieved my presents. A 2.5 lb. bag of Peanut Butter M&M's from Hubbin, A 1 lb. bag of Cheesey Corn puffs from #3, a bulk bag of pixie sticks from #1, and Body wash, puff ball, lotion, and spritzers set from the family. Then I got to soak my feet in a foot spa, later followed by a foot massage from Hubbin.
I must have fallen asleep by 9, because when I woke up this morning there were two messages on the answering machine wishing me happy birthday. Well, it was.


No comments: