Monday, January 2, 2012

Living the Word of Wisdom

I am a Mormon. Actually officially I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I was born to parents who were/are both mormon. I grew up going to a mormon church and learning from the Book of Mormon, the Bible, and other modern day teachings from prophets. One of the things that I learned about was something we call the Word of Wisdom. http://lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/89?lang=eng I had the donts of the Word of Wisdom down pat. Don't drink tea, coffee, or alcohol. Don't Smoke. Don't do drugs. Then we come to the do's. Do eat fruits and vegetables in their season. Do eat grains-they are the staff of life, wheat especially for man. Eat very little meat-with Thanksgiving, in cold and times of famine.
So, I did well with the don'ts, but upon closer examination of our diet- I wasn't doing so good with the do's.
Grains were not the "staff" of our life. Possibly sugar possibly meat, eggs, cheese, milk, but not grains. So last week we switched it up a bit. I got rid of all of our processed food, white flour, white sugar. I restocked my shelves with multiple kinds of nuts, grains, beans, lentils. I filled the fridge with fruits and vegetables. You can not find a snack food in the house, unless you count fruits and vegetables-which my kids do(and I don't mind).
I figure during the winter we will probably have meat on Sundays. I am willing to be flexible here. I think I will follow the spirit, and let it be my guide. Just until my family gets used to this new way of eating, I don't want to have quick calories in the house. So, no cheese, eggs, dairy, for a while.
I checked into the calcium issue here- apparently 7 of the top 10 calcium dense foods are plant based. I checked into iron, and the amino acids found in meats. They can also be found in balanced plant, grain, and nut based diets.
The other issue I wanted to address was #2 and I's gluten free diet. We have been eating whole grain oats, wheat, and barley with no effect on my stomach or his mental clarity. I don't know if this is because it needed to be in flour form or what, but so far so good.
Before I jumped in to this, I read a book, watched my friends who already eat like this, prayed, reread the Word of Wisdom several times http://lds.org/study/topics/word-of-wisdom?lang=eng and finally decided to take the Lord at his word, with this "Principle with a promise".
I will let you know how it goes. But, I am hoping that we will have more energy and more clarity of thought.
And here is a little break down of wheat
Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy1,506 kJ (360 kcal)
Carbohydrates51.8 g
- Dietary fiber13.2 g
Fat9.72 g
Protein23.15 g
Thiamine (vit. B1)1.882 mg (164%)
Riboflavin (vit. B2)0.499 mg (42%)
Niacin (vit. B3)6.813 mg (45%)
Pantothenic acid (B5)0.05 mg (1%)
Vitamin B61.3 mg (100%)
Folate (vit. B9)281 μg (70%)
Calcium39 mg (4%)
Iron6.26 mg (48%)
Magnesium239 mg (67%)
Phosphorus842 mg (120%)
Potassium892 mg (19%)
Zinc12.29 mg (129%)
Manganese 13.301 mg

No comments: