Thursday, April 9, 2009

BMI

Does anyone have experiences with their BMI (Body Mass Index) numbers? A true confession- I guess this isn't something women normally share, however I am OK with how I look now, so I don't mind sharing. My BMI indicates that I am morbidly obese at present. It also shows that I have been obese since elementary school- rising right up through the BMI scale all through High School and marriage. Even with all of the high school sports. I was a volleyball, basketball player and distance runner/shotputter. I wore a size 14 womens begining in 8th grade and although I have gained 60 lbs since 8th grade, I have gone from a 14 womens to a 16-18. What does all this mean? I don't know. Whenever they check my blood pressure it is 100/60 on average. Good Cholesterol. No other weight related problems, etc. What should I make of all these numbers and statistics?
Holy Cow! I have got to get to bed. I guess I will just leave this how it is. Let me know what you all think.

5 comments:

jenny~ said...

erica-

i wish i could help you out on understanding the BMI, but i found a website that might explain things alittle for you:
http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/index.html#Definition

hope this helps you out

Marie said...

I think it's a bunch of bologna. Morbidly obese? Come on, are you kidding me? Have you seen my husband? He's about 6'3-4" and 205-210 and he's considered overweight on that chart. He's a pretty slender fella. I think I'm right at the borderline too. I think as long as we try to eat well and live an active lifestyle, we're perfectly fine.

Mrs. Mom said...

BMI is often very inaccurate because it doesn't take into that muscle is more dense than fat. If you are wanting to know your total body fat it is usually more reliable to use tests like fat fold. Because it takes in account how much fat you have in some of the more fatty regions of the body.

Heathere Willoughby said...

If it makes you feel better, acording to that chart I am also obese.....and I don't think either of us are obese.....

Teann said...

Thanks for your story. :) We're supposed to enjoy this stage, when they're young, right? To answer your question, we are living in Sheridan, Wyoming, a half hour south of the Montana border. But come the middle of June, we'll be back in Lehi, Utah when Kade's assignment is done here. Are you guys out midwest for good?